Thursday, April 23, 2015

Abstract

Abstract


During my internship at Clean the World I learned about Volunteer tourism and the Distribution trips that Clean the World offers. I believe that Clean the World can structure their programs to continue engaging participants in the social issue while instilling longer term impact on their program participants. If organizations want to utilize the growing alternative tourism market sector they have a responsibility to implement in a way that the impact for all involved will benefit from the experience. The interdisciplinary problem presented and addressed is how nonprofits can structure their volunteer vacations to keep negative impacts on the local community to a minimum and at the same time foster global citizenship and continual civic participation in volunteers. I will answer this question by integrating knowledge gained from sociological and educational studies on why people join social movements, what they gain from their experience, how study abroad programs develop intercultural competency skills in students and eventually developing them into global citizens with the attitude of care and ability to change their world.

No comments:

Post a Comment